How to make sure you don’t gain weight when stuck at home
We are living an interesting life these days. Many of us are staying home as much as possible, which can make losing weight tricky for some people. It can be extremely frustrating, especially if you have been doing really well on your weight loss journey beforehand. As a weight loss surgery patient, you must take the time to figure out what works for you to ensure you stay on the right path.
Here are a few things that have worked for me.
- Keep snacks out of the house. This is critical for anyone on a weight loss surgery journey. It is so tempting to have snacks around and when you are bored at home, you will have such a strong desire to eat. You must keep your trigger foods away from you or you will slowly start to regain your weight. You might think it is ok to have a small amount, but the truth is a small amount will eventually turn into too much. Stay on a schedule with your meals and get out of the kitchen.
- Get outside and walk. This has helped me so much. It can be depressing sometimes just staying inside all the time. It can also be easy to get lazy when you are spending more time at home. By getting outside, you are getting more active and that is exactly what you need on a weight loss surgery journey.
- Find something to do. I have said this before and I will say it again. Find hobbies! I have learned that most of the time I overeat when I am bored. By staying busy, I keep food off my mind. It can be tricky finding something to do when you are stuck at home, but I encourage you to get creative. I found a new love for reading over the last few months.
- Get online for support groups. This is probably the most important thing on this list. Support groups will change your life after bariatric surgery. You will meet some amazing people and build friendships you did not know you needed. When you are stuck at home and are on the internet, take a minute to search for bariatric support groups. Get on there and introduce yourself. Talk to people who are going through similar things as you. This will help keep you on track and it will give you a chance to explore the bariatric community.
- Call family and friends. We sometimes get so caught up in the every day chaos that we forget to tell our loved ones how much we care for them. While you are spending more time at home, I encourage you to reach out to those you care about. Talk to them. Be there for them as they have been there for you on this journey. Tell them if you are struggling. Ask them for support if you need it. Remember, you are not alone.
As bariatric patients, it is our responsibility to continue our journey no matter the situation. It can be extremely difficult sometimes, but it is possible to stay on track. Things will not always be this way, so we must remember to focus on one day at a time. Use this time at home to truly find yourself and I promise you that you will not regret it.
- Kimberly H.