Spring is near!
It is officially March which means Spring is almost here! When you are on a weight loss surgery journey, one of the most important things you can do is get up and move. During the winter months, it can be challenging to get the initiative to do this. It feels so much darker and it can be easy to just sit on the couch all day. Spring brings new life which gives so much fresh energy that we all need on a weight loss surgery journey. I like to use this time to jumpstart my healthy lifestyle because there are so many opportunities to do healthy things, especially outside. So, here are a few things to do to stay mentally and physically fit in the Spring.
- Go for a walk in the park. It does not have to be anything intense, but just get outside and start walking. Now is the time to start if you have not already been doing it because the weather is absolutely beautiful. I really enjoy going to different parks and just exploring my city. If you have children, this can be a fun activity that you all do together.
- Sit outside and just listen to the sounds. This is extremely calming. I have found that for my mental health, I need to just get outside sometimes and just be in the moment. I will go outside on my back porch and just sit with nature. It helps my soul so much. I encourage you to do this for a few minutes every day. It is so refreshing having a few moments alone outside without any electronics or distractions. Remember, your mental health is just as critical as your physical health.
- This covers both your physical and mental health. You will be getting some exercise while gardening and it will also be good for your soul. Plus, you will be able to grow healthy fruits and vegetables that you can add to your daily routine. How cool that it will be from your own backyard!
- Start a new outdoor hobby. Whether it is hiking, biking, golfing, canoeing or something else, use this time of the year to find a new outdoor hobby. We spend so much time inside and this time of year is so therapeutic because we can get much needed sunshine while staying active.
- Enjoy a picnic. We should never starve ourselves on this journey. It is important that we enjoy our food and we nourish our bodies. Use this time of year to be with nature while enjoying a meal. It will allow for you to truly appreciate your food without feeling like you have to rush to eat. Take your friends or family with you and enjoy a social picnic.
This time of year brings so much joy and happiness because the weather is so much more inviting. As a bariatric patient, I encourage you to explore ways that you can get outside and get moving as much as possible. It can get really isolating to always be inside, which can make it challenging to stay on the right track after surgery. Enjoy this time of year and set new healthy goals for yourself. Let the sun shine and brighten your day!
- Kimberly H.
|My name is Kimberly and I am documenting my life after weight loss surgery, including being a new mom, eating healthy, working out, and trying to lose the rest of my weight. I talk about both my successes and failures from this surgery as well as other topics such as motivation, self love, and mental health. Check out my Facebook and YouTube pages!|