Fun Summer Activities to do on your Weight Loss Journey
It is officially summertime! Whether you are traveling with friends and family or hanging out by the pool, it is time to take a break and focus on you. When you are on a weight loss surgery journey, it can be difficult to find activities that do not involve food. During the summer, there are a lot of cookouts and get togethers that can bring stress for someone on a weight loss journey. However, just because you can’t eat a lot of food doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Here are some ideas for fun during the summer while you are on a weight loss surgery journey.
- The pools are open which means it is the perfect time to get some exercise through swimming. Swimming is one of the best exercises for people with joint issues. It is so refreshing taking a dip on a hot summer day. Take advantage of the weather and get out there to the pool. You can even use water weights to help you get a good workout. The pool is a great place to get both exercise and time to yourself.
- Amusement Parks. This is something that you might have feared before. I know I did. I hated feeling like I couldn’t fit into amusement park seats. It’s time to get past that fear and enjoy amusement parks. Even if you are not ready to get on a rollercoaster, you can still enjoy the fun at amusement parks. Don’t let your fears take over!
- This has turned into one of my favorite workouts. Yes, it can be hot out there, but going in the morning or evening is so peaceful. Hiking gives you an amazing workout and it is so calming being outside in nature.
- There is nothing like a nice bike ride on a cool summer evening. The weather can be hot, but with the wind blowing in your face while riding a bike, you won’t even notice the heat. This was a non-scale victory for me when I was able to ride a bike again for the first time. If you haven’t tried yet, now might be the time to give it a shot.
- There is so much to see in the world. Summertime is a perfect time to travel to places you have never been before. Just because you can’t eat a lot of food, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy traveling. Take advantage of this time and explore new places. Learn about different cultures and try new things for the first time.
Being on a weight loss surgery journey can be difficult sometimes. For so long I hated that I couldn’t enjoy the tasty summer foods. Through time, I have learned that experiences aren’t about what you eat. There is no need to obsess over food. You should not hold yourself back from living just because you can’t stuff your face anymore. You have one life. Don’t let your weight or food hold you back. Enjoy this season and get out there and LIVE!
- Kimberly H.
|My name is Kimberly and I am documenting my life after weight loss surgery, including being a new mom, eating healthy, working out, and trying to lose the rest of my weight. I talk about both my successes and failures from this surgery as well as other topics such as motivation, self love, and mental health. Check out my Facebook and YouTube pages!|